arts music

Local music scene: Oct. 27-31

entmusiclisticle102622.jpg

Bloomington’s Halloween weekend means parties and costumes, but also house shows and bar concerts. Local bands will celebrate Halloween by playing originals and covers on stages in venues, basements, garages and backyards. 

Oct. 27 

WIUX will host Battle of the Bones 7-8:30 p.m. at Dunn Meadow as part of their pledge drive. New Albany folk rock band Chorin, Bloomington alt-folk grunge band The Croakes, Ishan and the Ishans, Panama Papers, Bloomington grunge band Perfect 10 and Wasted Potential will all perform original music. There will be paid voting with all proceeds going to Girls Rock Bloomington.  

Blockhouse Bar will feature touring Nashville, Tennessee band The Medium at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and entry costs $10 for the 21+ audience.  

Country singers Conner Smith and Hank Ruff will perform at 8 p.m. at The Bluebird. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and tickets are available for $15 for the 21+ crowd. If four tickets are bought as a group, they will cost $10 each. 

The Root Cellar will hold karaoke with Dave Walker at 10 p.m. Doors will open at 8 p.m. 

Related: [COLUMN: cleopatrick’s ‘DOOM’ briefly showcases a renewed and vital sound]

Oct. 28 

Rod Tuffcurls and The Bench Press will perform at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird. Doors will open at 8 p.m. for the 21+ audience. Tickets are available for $12. 

House venue Funk Fortress will present local rock bands SYZYGY, Dose Rose, Speth, Foredaze and Napoleon Merchant’s Loveseat. There will be a $5 entrance fee for the 18+ audience. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and costumes are encouraged.  

IU’s Union Board will hold a release show for Live from Bloomington, an album made of Bloomington musicians' original music. The show will be from 7 to 9 p.m. at Alumni Hall and CDs will be available for $5. All proceeds will go towards Hoosier Hills Food Bank. . 

Blockhouse Bar will host local band Six Foot Blonde at 8 p.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and entrance will cost $5 for the 21+ audience. 

There will be an ‘80s Halloween Party at The Root Cellar featuring rock and roll DJ Bongo and Emanoelle 2000. Doors will open at 8 p.m. and the show will begin at 10 p.m. 

Colleen Green, a Los Angeles indie pop musician, and Jon Daly, an actor turned genre-bending musician, will perform at 9 p.m. at The Bishop Bar for an 18+ crowd. Tickets are currently available for $13 and will be $15 on the day of the show.  

House venue The Park House will host Bloomington band Sound Weasel at 9 p.m. Audience members are encouraged to wear costumes. 

Bloomington grunge band Perfect 10 and Hiraeth will perform from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. at a house venue. Costumes are welcome. 

Oct. 29 

Gonzo Hydraulica will feature many local artists at The Reef. Street Pennies, Foredaze, The Strangers, Connor McLaren, Lumber Fuk, The Atomic Misfits and Ed Winn will perform from 5-11 p.m. Entry will cost $7. There will be a costume contest and the winner will receive free Gonzo Hydraulica merchandise. There will also be pumpkin spice hot chocolates.  

The Orbit Room will host Tom Roznowski and Michael & Nell at 6 p.m. Tickets are available for $14 and table reservations cost $20. The venue is open to all ages until 8 p.m. After that, Rock bands Perfect 10 and Sound Weasel will perform from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Costumes are encouraged.  

There will be a Halloween cover show at Blockhouse Bar. Entrance is $5 for the 21+ crowd. Doors will open at 7 p.m. and the show will start at 8 p.m. 

The Root Cellar will host a Halloween costume party featuring Dr. Ray. Doors will open at 8 p.m. and the show will begin at 10 p.m. 

Jukebox Luke will perform at 9 p.m. at The Bluebird. Doors will open at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $10 for the 21+ crowd. 

Hampton Luxury Townhomes will present rock band SYZYGY, DJ Nefario, T-Dew, indie rock band Emily Spinach, Sherrod Woods and Carter Hays. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and entry will cost $10, or $7 if a costume is worn. The winner of a costume contest will receive $50. There will also be pumpkin bowling and facepaint.  

Related: [COLUMN: Anxious about Halloween? Here are five last-minute costumes]

Oct. 31 

Bloomington bands Six Foot Blonde and Street Pennies will perform at The Bluebird for a 21+ audience. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show will start at 9 p.m. Tickets are available for $10. 

A house venue will present bands Fox Body, Foredaze and Purple Hearse. Costumes are encouraged and there will be a $5 cover fee. The show will start at 8 p.m.