COLUMN: Anxious about Halloween? Here are five last-minute costumes

entcostumeideas102522.jpg

It’s the week of Halloween. It also happens to be midterm season. All the good costume ideas are taken already, right? 

Wrong. Halloween is all about creativity, while college is all about learning how to budget.  

Here are five low-cost yet one-of-a-kind costume ideas: 

Alien tourists 

This is the perfect costume for those channeling that Instagram-ready look without worrying about makeup smearing all over everything. All you need is an alien mask, an easy find at Spirit Halloween or Party City. Deriving inspiration from dads on vacation, grab a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts to complete the look. You could even go full 1950s Americana for a mixed-up Roswell reference. Sure, it may be a bit cumbersome to drink or eat with the mask on, but it will translate perfectly for social media posts. 

Related: [COLUMN: Taylor Swift’s ‘Midnights’ and the myth of perfectionism

1996 “Scream” characters 

I can almost guarantee that one of these iconic outfits exists in anyone’s closet already. From Drew Barrymore’s tan sweater and mid-rise jeans to Skeet Ulrich’s blood-soaked white shirt, the costumes are easy to replicate. Bonus points if you can recite Randy’s scary movie rules to all your friends. Fake blood is optional but encouraged, especially for Billy and Stu’s toxic and murderous relationship. 

Greendale Human Being 

Hands-down the most unsettling costume on the list; this school mascot from the sitcom “Community” might be scarier than most horror films. Recreating this costume is simple since it’s just a white morph suit with a terrifying Sharpie face. Some blue and white pom-poms are only necessary if you feel the need to cheer throughout the night, making for a more unsettling scene than it already will be. Once again, the suit might prove to be difficult to eat or drink with but fear not: cut a hole for the mouth and a nightmare is born. 

Strawberry Shortcake and Friends 

For a much sweeter and potential group costume, Strawberry Shortcake proves to be timeless and simple. The 2003 series might be the most familiar for our generation, but there are iterations of the core characters since the 1980s, providing tons of options for costuming. Most costume pieces can be found at Goodwill or are easy to DIY. Cute, simple, recognizable — everything a Halloween costume needs to be. 

Related: [Girls Rock Bloomington to offer collaborative songwriting workshop for kids Oct. 26

Famous musicians 

I had to make this a catch-all category for musicians known for their in-your-face makeup. For example, Insane Clown Posse or The Garden make for perfect costumes with their black and white clown looks. Kiss and Twisted Sister rely a lot more on the hair metal getup, their staples being oddly similar to each other. Think of it this way: ICP and the Garden are perfect for entry-level makeup artists, while Kiss and Twisted Sister are ideal for those with a touch more experience. Don’t let that scare you though – have fun with the costuming! 

Halloween is a fun and creative holiday. Don’t let it pass you by.