arts pop culture

Sustainable alternatives to fall fashion trends

entoutfits110821.jpg

The fashion industry has had a significant impact on our environment, but more and more people are opting for online shopping. Many of these sites also promote fast fashion. 

Fast fashion is the phenomenon of producing clothes for the rapid influx of trends through quick production at declining costs within the fashion industry, leading to waste. At the same time, we as consumers have become increasingly aware of our carbon footprint. 

However, when you want to invest in new clothing items, there are many brands that implement ethical practices and use recycled, natural materials. Here are some examples of sustainable alternatives to the season’s hottest trends, allowing you to simultaneously feel good and do good.

Puffer jackets 

These cozy coats are here to stay. Made with 100% recycled post-consumer plastic water bottles, the cropped puffer from Girlfriend Collective can keep you warm going into the winter months.

Lounge sets 

Looking for an athleisure set with a tie-dye print or a pop of color? Look no further than Back Beat Co. The California-based lifestyle brand uses low-impact fibers, which means they are either sustainably farmed or recycled. 

PHOTOS: 'Lightning in a bottle': Bloomington band Six Foot Blonde rocks on and off campus

Clips, claws and barrettes galore 

The resurrection of these 1990s hair accessory trends is very much alive and can be seen around campus. Located in Atlanta, MACHETE is an eco-conscious jewelry and accessory company. Made from recycled brass and ethically-sourced gold and silver, the MACHETE handmade ‘90s-inspired claw clips come in all shapes and sizes. 

Baggy denim jeans 

With denim, consumers want something that’s going to last. That’s why I suggest giving Levi’s SecondHand a peek. Ranging from light to dark washes, Levi’s SecondHand keeps denim pieces in circulation, giving your jeans that “lived-in” feel whenever you put them on. 

Loafers 

These can so easily be dressed up or down. Specifically, chunky loafers are one of fall and winter’s top shoe trends. Alohas offers loafers in a variety of colors made out of eco-friendly materials like sustainable, vegan leather. 

Sling-back bags 

For an athletic, on-the-go fanny pack, take a look at Baggu and Everlane. Both Baggu and Everlane’s bags are made with 100% recycled materials. If you're looking for a less sporty vibe, Pixie Mood's 100% vegan leather waist bag may be the choice for you. 

ICYMI: After the Audition

Power pants 

From pops of color to geometric patterns, these pants are bold. Reformation and Known Supply have printed pants made out of organic cotton that are bound to make a statement. 

Casual runners 

Since 2005, Veja has been committed to manufacturing sneakers with a positive impact at each stage of the production process. The French footwear brand’s retro sneakers are made with raw materials from organic and ecological farming, without chemicals or polluting processes. 

Shirt jackets 

Also known as “shackets,” these slightly oversized, classic menswear-inspired button-front jackets can double as a shirt. Madewell partnered with the “Better Cotton” initiative to help improve cotton farming globally.