PHOTOS: 'Lightning in a bottle': Bloomington band Six Foot Blonde rocks on and off campus

<p>Lead singers Emma Spartz and Julia Rusyniak sing Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The first time Spartz and Rusyniak met was two weeks before Six Foot Blonde began as a band. "It's hard for me to perform without her and I think it's vice versa," Rusyniak said of Spartz. "I think a lot of the time people would assume that we were comparing ourselves to each other, competing, but the crazy thing is that it works perfectly."</p>

Lead singers Emma Spartz and Julia Rusyniak sing Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The first time Spartz and Rusyniak met was two weeks before Six Foot Blonde began as a band. "It's hard for me to perform without her and I think it's vice versa," Rusyniak said of Spartz. "I think a lot of the time people would assume that we were comparing ourselves to each other, competing, but the crazy thing is that it works perfectly."

Lead singer Emma Spartz puts on eyeshadow Oct. 31, 2021, at bandmate Julia Rusyniak's house. The band gathered at Rusyniak's house at 5 p.m. Sunday to get ready for its show, dressing in a goth theme for Halloween. Six Foot Blonde first began as a band in April 2021. "We're all six foot or blonde or both," Spartz said about the origins of the band's name.  Mallorey Daunhauer
Lead singer Julia Rusyniak paints bassist Dominick Heyob's nails black Oct. 31, 2021, at her off-campus home. The band often rehearses multiple times a week before shows and has developed a friend group. "We all know that we can rely on each other more than anything," Keyob said. "We're willing to do a lot for each other." Mallorey Daunhauer
Keyboardist and saxophone player Adam Cohen and guitarist Zach Patrick carry equipmentat at 6 p.m. on Oct. 31, 2021, into the Bluebird. Six Foot Blonde started playing at the nightclub regularly. "It's hard at some points, especially when we're playing shows during the week," Patrick said about balancing school with band life. "For me, I realize what I have to do and I get my school work done and then do this." Mallorey Daunhauer
Six Foot Blonde's Halloween setlist lays on stage Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The group describes itself as a jam band, playing its own versions of cover songs.  Mallorey Daunhauer
Lead singers Emma Spartz and Julia Rusyniak take a selfie Oct. 31, 2021, during sound checks on stage at the Bluebird. "Because of music and our bond through music, we've become BFFs through that, outside of music, too," Rusyniak said of her and Spartz's relationship.  Mallorey Daunhauer
Band member Kaleb Weisenfluh plays a round of pool Oct. 31, 2021, at Video Saloon bar. After sound check, some band members grabbed a bite to eat at Rockit's Pizza while some went to Video Saloon bar to play a game of pool and grab a drink. Mallorey Daunhauer
The band members do a toast before their show Oct. 31, 2021, backstage at the Bluebird. "To the good ol' days and Halloween," Spartz said during the toast.  Mallorey Daunhauer
Lead singers Emma Spartz and Julia Rusyniak sing Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The first time Spartz and Rusyniak met was two weeks before Six Foot Blonde began as a band. "It's hard for me to perform without her and I think it's vice versa," Rusyniak said of Spartz. "I think a lot of the time people would assume that we were comparing ourselves to each other, competing, but the crazy thing is that it works perfectly." Mallorey Daunhauer
Guitarist Elliot Obermaier faces the crowd Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. "We all approach each other with a lot of humility and respect," bassist Dominick Heyob said. "None of us think we're more high and mighty than anyone else in the group, which makes it really easy to work with each other because we all agree that we're on the same level." Mallorey Daunhauer
Concert attendees dance Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The band has gained a following, with some members even finding themselves getting recognized on campus by strangers. Mallorey Daunhauer
Six Foot Blonde performs Oct. 31, 2021, at the Bluebird. The band is composed of students with some getting ready to graduate this year. Although the future is uncertain, the band plans on sticking together for as long as it can. "We're kind of just rolling with it until it doesn't roll anymore," singer Emma Spartz said. Mallorey Daunhauer
Six Foot Blonde appears on a marquee Oct. 31, 2021, outside of the Bluebird. "I don't think I will ever really experience anything like this in my life after this," bassist Dominick Heyob said. "That is why it's lightning in a bottle because it is one and done but we are capturing it for this school year, and we will remember it for the rest of our lives. That's something very very cool."  Mallorey Daunhauer

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.