arts music bloomington

IU alumni open Davis Academy of Music in downtown Bloomington

entmusicacademy081623.jpg

IU alumni Craig and Emily Davis opened the Davis Academy of Music to the public July 31. Located on Walnut Street just south of 3rd Street, the academy aims to serve adults wanting to learn an instrument. 

According to a press release, the duo found their way to Bloomington in 2016 when Craig was accepted into the doctoral program at IU’s Jacobs School of Music. In 2019, they decided to stay local after Craig’s 2021 graduation and eventually began work towards opening their own music studio. 

The Davises said they encountered many Bloomington residents who expressed regret at having quit studying music at an early age. They observed that Bloomington’s music education scene primarily targeted Jacobs School of Music students or children and wanted to provide similar services for adults. 

The academy was formed in 2020, utilizing virtual spaces to teach lessons for a time, and later acquiring a brick-and-mortar studio in which to teach. Emily said many of their students have found uses for their musical skills, including performing in ensembles and composing their own music. 

“My studio is full of a vibrant group of students who are passionate about music and about seeing their own personal growth outside of their typical 9-5,” she said. “I get so inspired by the works they're creating that they share, and the passion they have for music.”