sports women's basketball

Grace Berger drafted 7th overall by Indiana Fever in WNBA Draft

spiuwbbberger041023.jpg

Guard Grace Berger — who recently concluded her career as one of the greatest players in Indiana women’s basketball history — was drafted with the seventh pick of the first round by the Indiana Fever on Monday. 

Berger is the fifth Hoosier player ever drafted in the WNBA and the first to be selected in the opening round. Berger’s selection is also the first time a Hoosier player was selected in back-to-back drafts, as guard Ali Patberg was selected 34th overall by the Indiana Fever last year

A top-100 recruit out of Louisville, Berger played five seasons in Bloomington where she became a Hoosier legend. In her career, she scored 1,841 points — seventh all-time in program history. She also recorded 573 assists, the second most in program history, and 752 rebounds in 148 games. 

[RELATED: Grace Berger’s career, Indiana women’s basketball’s season ended by Miami's Harden’s shot

Berger also became Indiana’s all-time winningest player this season, helping the team reach its first-ever Elite Eight, Sweet Sixteen and No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, as well as the program’s first regular-season Big Ten title in 40 years.  

Individually, Berger is the program’s only four-time All-Big Ten First Team honoree and also received honorable mention for multiple All-American teams throughout her career. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree), columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) and photographer Alex Paul (@alexpaulphoto) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.