sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball wins share of Big Ten title

spiuwbbbrief021923.jpg

Indiana women’s basketball secured a share of the Big Ten regular season title with an 83-60 win over in-state rival Purdue on Sunday at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. 

The program had only won a single previous regular season conference title in its history, when it shared the title with Ohio State in 1982-83, the inaugural season of women’s basketball in the Big Ten. The Hoosiers also only have a single Big Ten tournament championship, which they won in 2002, but will have the opportunity to add to their hardware case during this season’s conference tournament on March 1-5 in Minneapolis. 

About 50 former players for the program were present to watch the Hoosiers clinch the title, and the 1983 conference title team in particular was honored between the first and second quarters. 

While Indiana has already secured a share of the title, it will have the opportunity to win it outright with an Iowa loss. The Hawkeyes face Maryland on Tuesday and face Indiana in the regular season finale in Iowa City on Feb. 26, next Sunday. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree) and columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.