sports women's basketball

Mackenzie Holmes named AP First Team All-American, Grace Berger named honorable mention

spiuwbbbrief031523.jpg

Senior forward Mackenzie Holmes and graduate guard Grace Berger of Indiana women’s basketball were each recognized by the Associated Press All-American teams, the publication announced Wednesday. Holmes was selected to the first team and Berger was named an honorable mention. 

Holmes earns the honor after a career year. She averaged a career-high 22.3 points per game along with 7.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game. Holmes’ field-goal percentage of 68.8% ranks second in the nation. 

Holmes’ first team selection is possibly the first of many national awards to come. The Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and All-Big Ten First Teamer is on the finalist ballot for at least five other national awards. Holmes is the first ever Hoosier to be named AP First Team All-American in program history. She was named an honorable mention in 2020-21. 

Berger was named an AP All-American honorable mention for the second consecutive season. She averaged 12.5 points, 5.8 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game in the season in 22 games, missing eight games due to a knee injury. Berger’s 5.8 assists per game, 48.5% field-goal percentage and 40% 3-point percentage are all career highs.

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree), columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) and photographer (.@alexpaulphoto) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.