sports women's basketball

Holmes, Berger First Team honors headline Indiana women’s basketball’s All-Conference honors

spiuwbbconferencebrief022823.jpg

The Big Ten conference announced its 2022-23 women’s basketball season honors Tuesday, recognizing four Indiana players. Senior forward Mackenzie Holmes and graduate guard Grace Berger were both named to the All-Conference First Team and junior guard Chloe Moore-McNeil was selected to the second team by the media.

This is the second time Holmes — a unanimous first team selection by both the coaches and media — made the First Team, having also done so in 2020-21 before an injury slowed her down and kept her on the second team last year. Berger has now made the All-Conference First Team four straight times — a first in program history — beginning with her sophomore year in 2019-20.

While none were selected to the first or second team, freshman guard Yarden Garzon, junior guard Sydney Parrish and senior guard Sara Scalia also earned honorable mentions from the conference.

Holmes and Moore-McNeil were also All-Defensive Team honorees, with Holmes making both teams and Moore-McNeil selected by the coaches. The conference announced earlier Tuesday that Holmes had been named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

Garzon rounded out the team’s regular season Big Ten awards with a spot on the All-Conference Freshman Team — the eighth Hoosier to do so.

Indiana and head coach Teri Moren — who was named Big Ten Coach of the Year Tuesday — will have the opportunity to add more honors and trophies to its case in March, beginning with the Big Ten Tournament in Minneapolis. Indiana’s first game will be at 12:30 p.m. Friday in the Target Center against the winner of 8-seed Nebraska and 9-seed Michigan State.

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree) and columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.