Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design to throw open house Friday

cadesign040722.jpeg

The Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design’s new Mies van der Rohe Building will have a free open house Friday from 4-5 p.m. The open house is one of the events they are holding to celebrate the new building. 

The open house is a time to show the students and staff the building’s space they will be able to take advantage of. The pandemic delayed the event from happening sooner, but individuals in the school and supporters can now come together to see the design come to life. 

The building’s design is based on Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s unbuilt design from 1952. Mies van der Rohe is known for being one of the founders of modern architecture. The new building’s 60-by-140-foot rectangular structure offers the school a more open, large and flexible workspace for students and faculty to use.

“This makes the building a ‘central hub' for the whole school,” Founding Dean Peg Faimon said in an email.

The building will be a place for classes, workshops, speakers, events and collaboration. It will also house offices for the Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture + Design faculty. Anyone in the school of Art, Architecture + Design will be able to use this new space. 

The growing school –– which has approximately 850 students enrolled this year –– will allow for current and future students to benefit from the new space. 

“It’s a beautiful, light-filled space that is uplifting and inspiring,” Faimon said.