bloomington

Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain to run for Indiana House District 62

caswain011022-jpg.jpg

Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain announced his candidacy for Indiana District 62 Wednesday, according to a press release from his campaign.

Swain will campaign against Monroe County Commissioner Penny Githens for the Democratic nomination. Jackson County Councilmember Dave Hall is running unopposed for the Republican nomination for District 62. Republican Jeff Ellington, who currently represents District 62, is seeking election for District 45.

District 62 in Indiana was redistricted in 2021 and now includes all of Brown County and parts of Jackson and Monroe counties. Most of Bloomington falls outside District 62.

Swain has served as the Monroe County Sheriff since 2015 and has served in the Sheriff’s Office for more than 30 years, according to his campaign website. Much of his work as a detective in the Sheriff’s Office focused on crimes against women and children, which included founding the Child Fatality Review Team and working with the Child Protection Team. As sheriff, Swain served as the representative for the Indiana Sheriffs’ Association on the State Sexual Assault Response Team, according to the release.

Related: [IU faculty member announces candidacy for Indiana’s 9th congressional district]

“With the credibility of the office, my career experience, and many leadership roles in community service, I will provide expert guidance and be heard when I communicate with other members of the House,” Swain said in the release. “I believe I am the most qualified Democrat to work with the Caucus, especially considering an ongoing ability to reach across the aisle.”

Swain’s decision to run for office was influenced by the two-term limit imposed on Monroe County Sheriffs, according to his website. Swain said he wanted to continue serving the public, and, if he were to be elected, he plans to use his experience as sheriff in office.

“My past seven years as sheriff and long record of accomplishments during my career make me the candidate to impact actions within the House,” Swain said in the release. “I will work hard as always, and will take the concerns of my constituents to the Statehouse. I welcome the opportunity to continue faithfully to serve my fellow Hoosiers.”