politics

IU faculty member announces candidacy for Indiana’s 9th congressional district

cacongress121621.jpg

IU faculty member Isak Nti Asare announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for Indiana’s 9th congressional district, according to a press release Thursday from his campaign. Nti Asare would be the first African American representative of the district if elected.

Nti Asare is an associate director of the Language Workshop and the Cybersecurity and Global Policy Program at IU’s Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies.

He first announced his candidacy Dec. 1 on Twitter and launched his campaign Dec. 7. The congressional district seat Nti Asare is running for is currently held by Republican Trey Hollingsworth, who has represented the district since 2017.

Nti Asare said he was inspired to run for office after being diagnosed with leukemia in 2018, according to the release. He has progressed towards remission but continues to undergo treatment, according to his campaign website.

“While the doctor was telling me I was dying, a social worker came into the room to ask me how I was going to pay for it,” Nti Asare said. "I don’t think any American should ever have to experience that burden.”

Nti Asare will continue serving his current positions at IU during his campaign, campaign manager Caleb Waugh said in an email to the Indiana Daily Student.