sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s swim and dive wins first meet of the season against Kentucky

spiumsd101021.jpg

Indiana men’s swim and dive won its first meet of the season against the University of Kentucky, reigning Southeastern Conference Champion, Wednesday at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center in Bloomington. 

With the win, the Hoosiers secured their 10th-straight win against the Wildcats. The men won every swimming event, and Hoosiers took the top three spots in ten events. 

The Hoosiers finished with a total score of 171 to the Wildcats’ 115. 

“I thought our guys did a pretty good job racing themselves, but it’s gonna get increasingly harder for our men’s team,” head swimming coach Ray Looze said.

Senior Andrew Capobianco won the men’s 1-meter dive with a score of 361.40 in his return for the Hoosiers.

Capobianco competed for Team USA in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Capobianco won the silver medal in the 3-meter synchronized springboard diving competition alongside 2018 Indiana graduate Michael Hixon.

Related: Capobianco, Hixon win 3-meter synchronized diving silver in Tokyo

Freshman swimmer Rafael Miroslaw won three events in his first meet for Indiana. He won the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:37.15, the 100 freestyle with a time of 44.42 and the 400 freestyle relay alongside senior Jack Franzman, senior Van Mathias and sophomore Tomer Frankel with a time of 2:56.44. 

Freshmen Luke Barr and Josh Matheny also brought home wins. Barr won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 55.48 and the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:48.59. Matheny won the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:00.69.

Additionally, senior Mikey Calvillo won the 1000 freestyle with a time of 9:12.38 and the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:27.39. 

Related: Former IU swimmers Zach Apple, Blake Pieroni win gold medal 400-meter freestyle relay

This performance for Indiana comes after the team finished second overall at the men’s Big Ten Championships last season.

Wednesday’s meet shows promise for the Hoosiers, but the team has a difficult schedule ahead. 

“Northwestern will be on the road, and then they have a really tough meet against Ohio State and Virginia Tech at the end of this month,” Looze said. “When pressure gets turned up we need to know how to handle ourselves.”

Indiana’s next meet is against Northwestern at 11 a.m. Oct. 16 in Evanston, Illinois.