Capobianco, Hixon win 3-meter synchronized diving silver in Tokyo

Then-junior Michael Hixon performs a back 2.5 somersault pike at the 2017 NCAA Swimming and Diving championships. Hixon and Andrew Capobianco won silver in 3-meter synchronized springboard diving.

IU athletes earned their fifth and sixth Olympic medals Wednesday morning as 2018 graduate Michael Hixon and rising senior Andrew Capobianco won silver in 3-meter synchronized springboard diving.

Hixon and Capobianco scored 444.36 points, second only to China, who earned 467.82 points

Capobianco, who was recently named one of IU’s Athletes of the Year, was making his Olympic debut. At IU, Capobianco has been named Big Ten Diver of the Year in 2019 and 2021, was first-team All-Big Ten last season and has been named a seven-time All-American.

Hixon earned a silver medal in the same event in the 2016 Rio Olympics. He was named the NCAA Diver of the Year in 2014 as a freshman and was First-Team All-Big Ten three times.

The medals were the second and third by IU divers. 2019 graduate Jessica Parratto earned a silver in 10-meter synchronized platform diving Tuesday. IU has also won three swimming medals; two gold and one bronze.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments