Former IU swimmers Zach Apple, Blake Pieroni win gold medal 400-meter freestyle relay

Then-junior Blake Pieroni competes in the 200 yard freestyle during the 2017 Swimming and Diving Championships. Pieroni won a gold medal in the 400-meter freestyle relay for Team USA on Sunday.

Former IU swimmers Zach Apple and Blake Pieroni finished in first place in the 400-meter freestyle relay Sunday night in the Tokyo Olympics, helping the relay team win a gold medal.

Apple, a 2019 IU graduate, and Pieroni, a 2018 graduate, joined Caeleb Dressel and Bowe Becker on the team for the final.

Pieroni took the second leg for the Americans, entering the pool with a .26 second lead and finishing with a .30 second lead.

Apple anchored the race, jumping in the pool when Team USA was in first by .20 seconds and securing the gold medal by 1.14 seconds. Team USA finished with a final time of 3:08.97.

Apple's split was 46.6 seconds, the fastest of any member of the relay.

Pieroni also won a gold medal on the 400-meter freestyle relay in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, although he only competed in preliminary heats.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments