Zach Apple wins 400 medley relay gold, IU has 11 swim and dive medals

Lilly King talks to the media after winning the 200-yard breaststroke on the final night of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. King earned a silver medal in the women’s 4x100-meter medley relay, swimming the breaststroke leg in the preliminary round of the relay.

The final day of swimming in Tokyo saw IU earn three more medals. 

Zach Apple, a 2019 graduate, swam the freestyle leg of the 4x100-meter medley relay to help Team USA win gold in world record fashion.

Apple swam a split of 46.9 seconds. The team’s time was 3:26.78.

Since the event’s inception in 1960, the USA men’s team has won every single one they have competed in.

The race was Apple’s second gold medal of the Olympics, adding to his gold in the 400-meter freestyle relay.

Blake Pieroni, a 2018 graduate who won gold with Apple on the 400-meter freestyle relay, swam the freestyle leg of the preliminary round and will also earn a gold medal.

Lilly King earned a silver medal in the women’s 4x100-meter medley relay after swimming the breaststroke leg in the preliminary round. King finished her Olympics with three medals – two silver and one bronze.

IU has also won three silver medals in diving events.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments