Lilly King earns bronze medal in 100-meter breaststroke in Tokyo

Lilly King talks to the media after winning the 200-yard breaststroke on the final night of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. King won the bronze medal in the 100-meter breaststroke in Tokyo on Monday.

Lilly King finished in third place in the 100-meter breaststroke Monday, earning a bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics. 

King, a 2019 IU graduate, finished with a time of 1:05.54. American Lydia Jacoby won gold.

King won two gold medals in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, finishing first in both the 100-meter breaststroke and the 4x100 meter medley relay, where she swam the breaststroke leg.

King, from Evansville, Indiana, won the 100-meter breaststroke four consecutive years while at IU, including her senior year in 2019, when she set an American record with a time of 55.73.

South African Tatjana Schoenmaker, who finished second, broke King’s Olympic record in the semifinals with a time of 1:04.82.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments