Church hosts virtual concert to benefit Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County

<p>A signs sits in front of the Habitat for Humanity site Oct. 9 on North Fee Lane. Signs lined the street, explaining the organization’s purpose and sponsors. </p>

A signs sits in front of the Habitat for Humanity site Oct. 9 on North Fee Lane. Signs lined the street, explaining the organization’s purpose and sponsors.

In Harmony With Habitat, a virtual concert benefiting Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County, will be hosted by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Bloomington on Saturday night. 

The concert features multiple local artists, such as headlining acts Jenn Cristy and King Bee and the Stingers. Two-time Grammy Award-winning opera singer Sylvia McNair is also scheduled to perform. The show will also include remarks from a Habitat for Humanity homeowner, Habitat for Humanity volunteers and Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County President and CEO Wendi Goodlett. 

The UU Church has donated to and volunteered with Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County for 20 years, and created a Habitat for Humanity Task Force to spearhead its contributions, according to UU Church’s Habitat for Humanity Task Force co-chair Barb Berggoetz. 

Berggoetz said UU currently aims to raise $20,000, enough money to co-sponsor a family’s home alongside two or three other contributors. So far UU has raised $14,000 towards its goal, Berggoetz said. 

“The UU Church’s support of our work is that much more inspiring given the challenges so many of us faced in 2020,” Goodlett said. “Despite a global pandemic, their members have continued to advocate for, build, and fund affordable housing in Monroe County.” 

Berggoetz said she loves Habitat for Humanity because it helps families obtain affordable homes while also ensuring they give back to the community. For instance, each adult living in a Habitat for Humanity house must contribute 250 hours of sweat equity. 

According to the Habitat for Humanity website, sweat equity can mean performing construction work on their own home or another Habitat for Humanity home, writing thank you notes to donors, making lunches for volunteers, participating in homeowner classes on mortgage, home safety and insurance and more. 

“I love the goal of helping people get a decent, affordable home. That’s one of those core important things,” Berggoetz said. “Besides helping people get food, shelter is right up there in terms of how important it is for people to be able to live safely, especially for their children.”

The concert will be streamed over the Mandolin live concert streaming platform from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday night, but can be watched up to 48 hours after its premiere. Tickets can be purchased at the In Harmony with Habitat box office webpage

“If people like a variety of music and like to support a cause such as help building a home for some family, then this is definitely worth two hours of their evening,” Berggoetz said.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments