arts   |   community events   |   performances

Annual Lotus Festival will take place virtually in September

entlotusbrief052620

Patrons wait to hear the Anat Cohen Quartet at the Buskirk-Chumley theater Sept. 30, 2012, during the Lotus World Music and Arts festival. This year's festival will be held online due to the coronavirus pandemic. IDS file photo

Bloomington’s annual Lotus World Music and Arts Festival will be online for the first time since it began in 1994, according to a video and statement posted on its website

Lotus executive director Tamara Loewenthal announced in a video posted May 21 that the celebration would not be canceled, but would become virtual due to COVID-19.

“Audience members will be invited to participate in numerous ways to engage with online performances and activities, to dance in their living rooms, to eat festival food, and to purchase Lotus merchandise,” the statement reads. “Lotus will invite our fans into a virtual community, as we increase our community access and outreach.”

The festival features musicians, dancers and artists from around the world. It typically brings more than 12,000 people each year to celebrate music and art from around the world. It will still take place during its original date, Sept. 24 to 27. 

The release also states that more details are to come.

More in Arts