arts performances

Roy coming to Comedy Attic

CAROUSEL1entComedyAttic

Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said comedian John Roy is severely underrated.

On Feb. 20 through Feb. 22, Roy will be performing his record-breaking 10th show at the Comedy Attic. Depending on the day, ticket prices range from $6 to $12.

“I honestly believe that John Roy is not only one of the funniest comedians I know, but also one of the most criminally underrated ones,” Thompson said. “I truly believe he should have been recognized more than he already is right now. Our audiences and everyone else at the Comedy Attic love him and we strongly believe in his career.”

Currently living in West Hollywood, Roy has had many key appearances throughout his years. He has appeared on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, the Tonight Show and Conan.

He also performed duringBloomington’s Limestone Festival last year, and has a podcast called “Don’t Ever Change” that discusses teenage life and high school stories.

John Roy is one of the few acts who performs at the Comedy Attic twice a year. Thompson said Roy is distinct in because his standup act consists of his old material mixed with his newer material.

“All the material I perform is based off of my own life,” Roy said. “Every joke comes from my reality of living in L.A., and the relationships I have encountered throughout the years.”

Thompson said it is rare that comedians come to the Comedy Attic twice a year based on their ability to create new jokes and
routines.

“John is one of those guys who writes new jokes and understands what is relevant in current comedy and not a lot of other comedians know how to do that,” Thompson said.

Roy grew up in Chicago, where he started in a band after graduating college.
His friends then encouraged him to do standup comedy where he performed at open mics in city bars until he gained fans and a reputation.

“What keeps me doing comedy is the way you need a reason to put on a show to entertain others, and that motivates me to be at my finest,” Roy said.

He said he has enjoyed performing at the Comedy Attic in the past.

Each new standup performance is an opportunity to gain new fans, Roy added.

He said a quality comedy club helps bring in customers.

“The Comedy Attic is a very well-run club that gives a sense of business by doing everything right for their customers and workers,” Roy said. “I hope Bloomington residents are able to recognize that they have one of the best comedy bars in the country.”