Arts Fair on the Square provides inspiration for artists for 29 years

For the past 29 years, the lawn of the Monroe County Courthouse has been overtaken for one afternoon by color and creativity.

This year’s Arts Fair on the Square, which took place Saturday in conjunction with the Taste of Bloomington, filled the square with brightly colored stained glass, handmade jewelry and the jury-selected artists behind the creations.

The Indiana Daily Student asked several of the participating artists about what inspires them, why they participated and how the arts fair impacts Bloomington.

* * *
Cathy Braunlin, a Bloomington-based artist, has participated in the Arts Fair on the Square for the past three years doing what she calls “polymer clay filigree.” Her vases, boxes and other assorted objects all have a coating of small coiled ropes of clay dusted with multicolored powder.

IDS Why is Bloomington able to support an arts fair like this?
Braunlin We’re a very arty community. We support the arts, and a large part of that comes out of the University.
IDS How has this year’s traffic at the fair compared to the other two years?
Braunlin There is definitely a lot less. Part of it has to be this heat. But it’s a lot slower this year.

* * *
For the past 15 years, Bloomington resident Sue Westhues has found inspiration in her garden. Her carved gourd sculptures have been featured in the festival for 12 years.

IDS What made you want to work with gourds?
Westhues I grew gourds and just fell in love. I didn’t realize how versatile they are. There are just so many shapes and types.
IDS How do you get inspired to make a sculpture?
Westhues Usually I just see something and see how I could make it with a gourd. I also look to other cultures and what they’ve done with them. It’s a medium that crosses the world.
IDS Why has the arts fair remained popular here?
Westhues This community is a beacon in the state of Indiana. It’s probably the most accepting community in the state. It’s good to its arts people.

* * *
Though Mitchell, Ind., resident Rita Jackson participated in the fair for the first time this year, she has been making her “hand-built ceramic sculptures” for nearly 40 years. She said the best part about her work is how light and fun it is.

IDS Why did you start sculpting?
Jackson I just have these ideas that I need to translate into something. I love making the world a happier place. One idea just leads to another.
IDS As an artist, why do you think the community has been able to support this event?
Jackson People like to get out and have their lives enriched. You can have something in your home made by someone you can see and talk to, and I think people are really drawn to that.
IDS What has been the most rewarding part about being an artist?
Jackson I’m blessed to be able to do this to make my living. I’ve been a single parent for 26 years and have been able to put my kids through college. It just shows that you can have a career in art if you’re willing to work hard.

* * *
Cathy Brown of Brownsburg, Ind., and Carol Watson of Zionsville, Ind., shared a tent at the festival and showed their hand-torched glass jewelry together. Both were first-time participants in the festival.

IDS Why did you decide to start working with glass?
Brown I’ve been doing this for six years. I loved working with glass for years and had originally worked with stained glass. Once I learned how to use a torch, I was hooked.
IDS When you start making beads, what inspires you?
Watson Usually, it’s colors, and nature, too. It’s very organic. I just start with a color and grab what I think looks good with it. There’s no real theme. I just know what I like and what looks good.
IDS What’s the best part about your art?
Brown I’ll always love it. I’ll be 90 years old and still using a torch. I’ll just never grow tired of it. Plus, it’s the greatest compliment in the world when someone decides to purchase something you’ve made.