Many Hoosiers aid win

Only 13 points for Jared Jeffries is usually reason to panic. Just look at what happened at Minnesota when he managed only seven points and one made field goal.\nBut while the Hawkeyes failed to produce a double-digit scorer Tuesday night, the Hoosiers had five players score 10 or more points, led by Kyle Hornsby's 15 points.\nJeffries and Jarrad Odle each had 13 and Tom Coverdale and Dane Fife each had 11 to lead a balanced attack. A.J. Moye had eight points.\nThroughout the first half Jeffries struggled to get the ball in his hands and when he did, he hit only two of his six field goal attempts. But Jeffries was able to exploit double teams and find open shots for his teammates.\n"He did a great job of finding open guys. When we play basketball like that we're very good," Mike Davis said.\nJeffries was wearing a bandage on his upper right leg throughout the game because of an injury sustained in practice and had to be helped off the floor with 3:20 left in the game.\nWith more people stepping up more often, the Hoosiers' offense seems to be more balanced and more efficient.\n"I think that's what we got away from at Minnesota and it hurt us," Coverdale said.\nThe Hoosiers shot over 46 percent from the field and had another good game from behind the arc, hitting 11-of-23 three-point field goal attempts.\nOne of those triples came from Jeff Newton with 2:46 left as the shot clock wound down and Newton was about 25 feet from the basket.\n"You can't teach that," Odle said jokingly. "We hit a lot of shots tonight."\nThe other Indiana native\nSteve Alford had his big return to Assembly Hall two years ago, when the Hawkeyes fell to the Hoosiers, 74-71. That score would have been preferred to the shellacking Iowa had to endure during Luke Recker's return Tuesday night.\nThe Hawkeyes are playing poorly and are now 0-5 on the road in conference play this season. A preseason favorite to contend for the league title, Alford left Assembly Hall extremely disappointed in his team and in himself.\n"We didn't do anything. I've done a very poor job with this team," Alford said. "It's very embarrassing. I do know how hard we work. It's very frustrating. \n"Poor coaching is about the only answer I've got. We got it handed to us in all five positions."\nBlocks and more blocks\nEntering this week in the Big Ten, George Leach, Newton and Jeffries were ranked second, third and fourth respectively in the conference in blocked shots per game overall. While Leach didn't see much action Tuesday night, Newton and Jeffries did some more damage.\nJeffries had five rejections, including one on Luke Recker that sent the crowd into a frenzy, and Newton added three more. In Big Ten games, Jeffries is leading the league with 2.8 blocks per game. Newton is now second with 1.7 blocks per game. \nRebound\nThe Hoosiers are now 6-1 in games that come after a loss this season. The only time they have lost two in a row was when IU lost at Miami and then to Kentucky in Indianapolis Dec. 22.\nAfter Saturday's debacle in the second half against Minnesota, Davis was looking for a more enthusiastic performance.\n"We just kind of went through the motions," Davis said of Saturday's loss. "Tonight we really came out and played great basketball"