arts food

COLUMN: Local shops perfect for summer in Bloomington

entshops050323-illo

With the end of the semester right at our fingertips, a lot of students are packing up their things and leaving Bloomington for a few months. For those who have made the decision to stay, check out this list of local shops to make summer in B-Town just a little brighter. 

If you’re looking to spruce up your space: 

Head over to the sister stores oak. and Gather. They have a selection of cool houseplants, nature-themed decor, art prints, mugs and more. They are great shops for gifts or if you’re just wanting to make your home even cozier. 

For the fans of little trinkets, Moon Stones is your stop. They have seemingly endless stones, crystals and jewelry. They even do tarot card readings if that’s your vibe. Whether you’re into the metaphysical or you just like tiny and shiny things, they have it covered. 

Plant lovers should look no further than Mays Greenhouse. They have a massive inventory of houseplants, flowers and even seeds or starter plants for your garden. Browse rows upon rows of clay pots and decorations. Green thumb or not, you’ll find something you love here. 

Related: [COLUMN: Useful tips for planning the perfect picnic]

If you’re looking for sustainably sourced clothing: 

The People’s Market is the place to go. It’s a small market open only in the mornings on Saturdays and houses several different vendors. A few stalls provide thrifted clothing for you to pick and choose from. There’s also often glasswork, homemade candles and local art up for grabs.

You can also check out skullznbunniezIt’s a locally owned clothing shop that focuses on thrifted, vintage and recycled pieces. The storefront is located on Kirkwood Avenue, but if you don’t have time to stop in, they also sell their items online. 

If you’re looking for fresh food: 

There’s nothing like a Saturday morning trip to the Bloomington Community Farmer’s Market. You can find all sorts of produce and animal products like honey, eggs and cheese. Some vendors offer flowers, hand-crafted soaps and sweet jams. You can find something new at the Farmer’s Market each week. 

Related: [COLUMN: Summer 2023 trend predictions]

If you’re looking for something sweet:  

Head over to Soma Coffeehouse and Juice Bar. It’s always cool and relaxed — a perfect place to read a new book while sipping on your favorite drink. For the summertime, its iced chai lattes are the perfect cold and sweet treat. 

Crumble Coffee and Bakery is a wonderful stop for an early afternoon pick-me-up. Its coffees are always delicious, the atmosphere is welcoming, and the fresh pastries are some of the best in Bloomington.