bloomington

Bloomington Spring farmers’ markets open for the 2023 season

cafarmersmarket040623.jpg

Bloomington farmers’ markets opened April 1 for the 2023 season and will run until the beginning of November. Shoppers can find locally grown produce, music, flowers and more every Saturday.  

Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market 

The Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market is open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday in the Showers Common at 401 N. Morton St.  

“Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market is one of the few markets in the country ran by a city government,” Cortland Carrington, the chairperson of the market’s advisory council, said.  

This committee discusses policies relating to the market and strives to connect customers with local food sources. He said they have many hopes for the spring season including continued market growth and local participation.  

“Covid and some race-related issues in 2020 really set us back and caused a lot of problems, shielding people away from public places,” Carrington said. “Since then, we have seen a major growth and hope it will continue.” 

According to the City of Bloomington, Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market will also launch a Tuesday market with the same vendors, 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. starting on June 6 at 1611 S. Rogers St. On Tuesdays, shoppers can find locally grown produce, plants, entertainment and informational booths. Birdie & The Bees Farm, Hoosier Honey and Wilderlove Farm, among other vendors, will have booths at this particular market.  

“There’s so much variety, everyone is so friendly, and it’s a nice opportunity to find different things and nice thing to do with friends,” IU sophomore Caroline Dhana (said.  

To find more information about the vendors and other details, subscribe to the weekly newsletter here. 

[Related: Bloomington Craft Beer Festival returns Saturday]

Woolery Mill Farmers’ Market 

The Woolery Mill Farmers’ Market is run by a volunteer board of directors that consists of farmers, prepared food vendors and customer representatives. Woolery Mills Famers’ Market also runs the oldest winter farmers’ market in Indiana. According to their website, the organization works to lengthen the farmers' market season and expand accessibility of local grown products to the community.  

The Woolery Mill Farmers’ Market is located in the Woolery Mill front lot at 2250 W. Sunstone Drive. The market will run from 8 a.m. to noon every Saturday. Locals can find fresh produce and meat, baked goods, live music and free parking. The WMFM market will host 30 vendors, including 3 Dogs and a Mom, Freedom Valley Produce and Pie First Bakery.   

More information on specific vendors can be found here.  

[Related: Toppers Pizza opening Bloomington location

The Peoples Cooperative Market 

The Peoples Cooperative Market’s mission is to provide a space that is welcoming and inclusive for all people while supporting local farmers and small businesses owners. According to its website, the market values include equitability, access to locally grown food, anti-racism and support for underserved communities.  

The Peoples Cooperative Market will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. It is located at 2420 E. Third St. in the fellowship hall at First United Church. According to the organization, PCM delivers items sold at the market to your front door. People can start an order with a pickup or delivery option here. This market has locally grown meat and vegetables, baked goods, seeds and plants and herbal products.  

Learn more about the vendors who participate in the market here.