Faculty call on the administration to recognize the graduate worker union

<p>Students march at one of Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Graduate Workers rallies April 14, 2022, around Ballantine Hall&#x27;s courtyard. Nearly 2,000 faculty members voted on resolutions supporting the strike. </p><p><br/><br/></p>

Students march at one of Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Graduate Workers rallies April 14, 2022, around Ballantine Hall's courtyard. Nearly 2,000 faculty members voted on resolutions supporting the strike. 

IU faculty overwhelmingly voted in support of the graduate worker strike, including protection from being fired for striking and calling on the administration to recognize the union, according to a press release on May 23. 

After a special meeting of the Bloomington Faculty Council on May 9, resolutions regarding the graduate worker strike were sent to all faculty members to be voted on via a remote ballot. 

Resolution 1 emphasized shared governance and affirmed that graduate worker supervision falls on the department each student belongs to rather than the provost. The resolution called for graduate workers to be reappointed for the summer immediately and affirmed no graduate worker should be fired for striking.

Resolution 1 passed with 83.8% in favor. 

Resolution 3b defined graduate workers as both students and employees who have the right to organize and strike. The resolution called for the administration to engage in meaningful dialogue with the graduate workers and work towards union representation. 

Resolution 3b passed with 73.4% in favor. 

1,912 of 2,900 voting-eligible faculty members filled out ballots. The resolutions will be sent to the Provost and Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs over the next few days, according to the press release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.