arts iu auditorium performances

‘Jersey Boys’ goes behind the music of ‘60s group Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons

entjerseyboys041922.jpg

The Tony and Grammy Award-winning musical “Jersey Boys,” which tells the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, will return to the IU Auditorium at 8 p.m. April 22 and 23.

From the streets of New Jersey to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, audiences will catch a glimpse into the formation, success and eventual break-up of one of the biggest American pop music sensations. 

Written by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice, the musical is structured as four different ‘seasons,’ each narrated by a different member of the band who gives their own perspective on its music and history. 

Related: [Music Industry Creatives to celebrate Bloomington artists at Burning Couch Festival]

Devon Goffman, who plays one of The Four Seasons, Tommy DeVito, said the music of the group is reflective of a transformative time in the music industry.

“They were discovering things about music as they were writing it,” Goffman said. “Rock ‘n’ roll was being created through these years.” 

The rock ‘n’ roll group dominated the music scene in the 1950s and ‘60s with top-charting hits like “Sherry,” “December 1963 (Oh, What A Night),” “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.” Goffman said the show goes far beyond the band’s popular music. 

“Very rarely do you get a truthful telling of the interpersonal relationships of these four guys,” Goffman said. “It’s a really beautiful puzzle of how these guys became one of the best bands.”

Tickets are on sale for both nights. Student ticket pricing starts at $17 and $29 for other attendees.