arts community events music

Music Industry Creatives to celebrate Bloomington artists at Burning Couch Festival

entMICfestival041822.jpg

Music Industry Creatives will conduct Burning Couch Festival, an all-day music festival, starting at noon on April 23. The doors will open at 11 a.m. and admission is $5. 

“We want to make it bring as many Bloomington artists in one place at the same time,” Briggs Blevins, MIC director of production and an IU sophomore, said.

Two local resident houses will showcase more than 20 local musicians on three stages throughout the day, Blevins said. The Reef, the house venue MIC has used for house shows this semester, is located at 2624 E Seventh St. The Reef will have indoor and outdoor stages while the neighbor’s house will have one indoor stage. 

WIUX is partnering with MIC for this event to help supply equipment and volunteers. WIUX will also be selling merchandise and holding a vinyl giveaway. 

Related: [Full Bloom Festival to showcase music, artistic community April 22]

Vendors such as Gonzo Hydraulica will be selling clothing and Art Wurmz will be selling hand-designed prints and stickers. La Poblana Taco Truck will provide food at the festival. 

Blevins said MIC has been planning the festival for about three weeks. They decided to throw the festival after a series of MIC events were canceled and the club wanted to top off the year with a large community gathering, Blevins said. 

Blevins said MIC named the festival “Burning Couch Festival” because at the club’s first house show, they started a bonfire and the neighbor threw a couch in the fire. 

During the day, rock, indie rock and acoustic musicians will perform along with cover bands. Blevins said the music will be more hip-hop oriented during the night. 

There will be performances from The Meanwhiles, Westhead, Citruses and Lounge. Solo musicians D Slay, Ed Winn and Connor McLaren will also perform. The full festival lineup is available on the MIC Instagram page.