Kenya Hunter, Yasir Rosemond and Brian Walsh to take on elevated coaching roles for Indiana men’s basketball

Spiubbcoachingstaff032522.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball head coach Mike Woodson announced changes to the structure of the team’s coaching staff for the 2022-23 season, according to an Indiana Athletics press release Friday.

Kenya Hunter and Yasir Rosemond, who worked as assistant coaches this past season, will take on new roles as associate head coaches. Brian Walsh, who was previously the Hoosiers’ team and recruiting coordinator, was named an assistant coach for next season.

The reorganization comes in the wake of the departure of Dane Fife, who worked as an assistant coach for the Hoosiers this past season. When Woodson announced Wednesday that Fife wouldn’t be returning to Indiana’s coaching staff, he noted his commitment to prioritizing the program’s growth after making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2016.

“I think it’s extremely important for our program that we continue to build on what we were able to accomplish this season and my first priority was to heighten the roles of Kenya and Yasir and allow Brian to broaden his responsibilities with an on-floor coaching role,” Woodson said. “I like the direction we are headed and appreciate their efforts and collaboration in helping the Indiana University basketball program reach its full potential.”

In the time Hunter, Rosemond and Walsh have spent together on Indiana’s coaching staff, the program has landed the 15th-best 2022 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. Committed players set to join the Hoosiers in the fall are 5-star guard Jalen Hood-Schifino, 4-star forward Kaleb Banks and 3-star guard C.J. Gunn.

Hunter will enter his 20th year of coaching at the Division I level and third with the Hoosiers next season. He has previously worked on the coaching staffs for the men’s basketball programs at the University of Connecticut, Nebraska, Georgetown University and Xavier University, among others. 

UConn landed consecutive top-20 recruiting classes in Hunter’s two seasons on the coaching staff, while Georgetown earned three top-25 recruiting classes during Hunter’s six years on the coaching staff.

“Kenya did an outstanding job for us this season and is well deserving of this promotion,” Woodson said. “He has a tremendous impact on every part of our organization and will have the opportunity to lead his own program in the future.”

Rosemond enters his new role in just his second year of coaching at Indiana, but he has had over 15 years of experience at the collegiate level. He coached a variety of NBA players at the University of Alabama, University of Georgia and University of Oregon, including current Cleveland Cavaliers guard Collin Sexton and New Orleans Pelicans forward Herbert Jones. 

“Yasir has been an invaluable addition to our staff,” Woodson said. “His energy and his relationship-building skills have been a big asset to us since the day he came aboard. He’s a well-rounded coach who is going to have the ability to lead his own program one day.”

In his previous five years with Indiana, Walsh has taken on a few different roles. 

He served as the director of basketball operations for the first four seasons of his time in Bloomington before working as the team and recruiting coordinator this past season. Walsh previously spent three years on the University of Dayton’s men’s basketball coaching staff and worked as the assistant director of basketball operations for one, during which the Flyers made the NCAA Tournament each year.

“Brian is someone who made a tremendous impact very early on in my tenure and I believe he is someone who can help continue the positive progress that is being established at IU,” Woodson said. “In our collaborations as a staff, I continue to be impressed by his contributions and I think he will flourish in his new role.”

Woodson and his coaching staff will be tasked with taking on a much different looking roster next season. Getting Hood-Schifino, Banks and Gunn situated with their expected roles on the team will be its own challenge, while making up for the losses of four outgoing players will be another. 

Senior guard Rob Phinisee, senior center Michael Durr and sophomore guard Khristian Lander all entered the transfer portal in the past few days, and senior guard Parker Stewart announced he wouldn’t return to Indiana next season.