Sharpshooter Parker Stewart won’t return to Indiana men’s basketball next season

spiubbstewart032422.jpg

March 24, 10:57 p.m.

Senior guard Parker Stewart won’t return to Indiana men’s basketball next season, he told the IndyStar Thursday night. Stewart started in 31 of Indiana’s 35 games in the 2021-22 season, averaging 6.2 points per game on 39.3% shooting from 3-point range.

Stewart transferred to Indiana in January 2021 after stints at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Tennessee at Martin. Stewart scored over 19 points per game during his sophomore season at UT Martin, where his late father, Anthony Stewart, served as head coach from 2016-20.

Stewart started his first season at Indiana hot from 3-point range and put up a 20-point effort against Syracuse University on Nov. 30. However, he cooled down late in the season and shot 2-9 from 3-point range across Indiana’s five postseason games.

Sophomore guard Khristian Lander and senior center Michael Durr also announced their departures from Indiana and entered the transfer portal in the last two days, making Stewart the third departure so far this offseason. Stewart was one of two Hoosiers to be honored during Senior Night, in addition to senior forward Race Thompson.

Despite 2021-22 being his fifth season in college basketball, Stewart still has one year of eligibility remaining due to the NCAA granting all athletes an extra year of eligibility because of COVID-19. Stewart also said starting a professional career is a possibility, according to the IndyStar’s Zach Osterman.

March 28, 1:01 p.m.

After announcing his plan to leave Indiana on March 24, Stewart entered the transfer portal Monday morning. He would have one year of eligibility remaining if he decides to transfer to a different program.