sports swimming & diving

Indiana swim and dive prepares for Saturday meet with rival Purdue

spiusdpreview012122.jpg

The Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive teams will welcome in-state rival Purdue for a matchup at 10 a.m. Saturday at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center in Bloomington. 

Indiana split its previous meet against Louisville on Jan. 14. The No. 5 men beat No. 11 Louisville 205-95, while the then-No. 10 women fell to No. 15 Louisville 182-118 after missing several athletes for the competition.

Going into the weekend, the Hoosier men are 7-0 this season and the Hoosier women are 5-2 so far. Rankings have been updated with the men staying at No. 5 and the women falling to No. 13.

Head swimming coach Ray Looze said he continues to challenge his teams to be the best they can be and is proud of what they’ve accomplished ahead of the meet with Purdue.

“Our goal is to be much sharper against Purdue,” Looze said, “We look forward to that.”

Winning against Purdue in the pool has become a tradition over the past decade. Indiana’s men have defeated Purdue in 11-straight meets dating back to Feb. 6, 2010, while Indiana’s women have won 10 in a row against Purdue going back to Jan. 22, 2011.

Indiana and Purdue last faced each other in February 2021, during their shortened 2020-21 COVID-19 season, where Indiana dominated on the road. The then-No. 7 Indiana men finished that same season undefeated, something they will attempt to emulate this season with a similar perfect 7-0 start.

In the last meeting between the two, then-sophomore Brendan Burns swept the backstroke events, winning the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 47.17 seconds and the 200-yard backstroke with a mark of 1:45.03. This season, Burns has continued to improve his times in events. At Indiana’s previous meet against Louisville, he timed in at 1:41.18 in the 200-yard backstroke.

When she last faced Purdue, then-freshman Elizabeth Broshears won the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 54.71 seconds. She came seconds away from her all-time best mark in the event, a time of 52.75 seconds, which she marked later in February 2021. 

The diving squad will see a familiar face on Saturday when Tyler Downs, a Purdue freshman and Olympic teammate to Indiana senior Andrew Capobianco, competes.

At the rivals last meeting in February 2020, then-junior Andrew Capobianco competed in the 1-meter dive and came in first, scoring a 401.40. During the 2020-21 season, he also trained for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympic Games, where he won silver in the 3-meter synchro springboard event with his teammate and former Hoosier Mike Hixon. 

Saturday’s meet in Bloomington is free to attend for Hoosier fans looking to cheer on another pair of Hoosier teams to a win this week against the rival Boilermakers. Live results can be found here.