IU Jacobs students and local performers to present ‘Jacobs Holiday Celebration’

<p>Brent Wallarab, an IU Jacobs associate professor of jazz studies, directs a jazz ensemble during a performance in 2019. Wallarab&#x27;s ensemble will be performing a series of carols and will play Duke Ellington&#x27;s &quot;Nutcracker Suite&quot; for IU Ballet dancers.</p>

Brent Wallarab, an IU Jacobs associate professor of jazz studies, directs a jazz ensemble during a performance in 2019. Wallarab's ensemble will be performing a series of carols and will play Duke Ellington's "Nutcracker Suite" for IU Ballet dancers.

IU Jacobs School of Music students, alongside local performers, will present the Jacobs Holiday Celebration, a holiday-themed, recital-style performance at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 11 at the Musical Arts Center. This will be the last Jacobs School performance of 2021.

Hosted by Grammy Award-winning singer and IU alumnus Sylvia McNair, the show will feature performances from both on-campus and local groups. Tickets start at $10 for regular guests and $5 for students.

“It is a true variety show,” McNair said. “It’s a holiday show with lots of fun music.”

The show will be split into two acts with a brief intermission. The first act will include several musical ensembles, including but not limited to a faculty and student jazz ensemble, a student harp ensemble and guitar ensemble. There will also be a marimba solo performance, and the IU Children’s Choir will also perform.

The second act will feature carols and other songs sung by McNair and a performance by IU Ballet dancers to Duke Ellington’s jazz interpretation of “The Nutcracker Suite”. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.