arts music

COLUMN: Coldplay, BTS release mellow, surreal ‘My Universe’

entcoldplaybts100621.jpg

Coldplay and K-Pop group BTS released a new song called “My Universe” on Sept. 24. A music video for the song was made available on Coldplay’s YouTube channel Sept. 30.

The release confirmed the rumors of a possible collaboration between the two groups after Coldplay’s Chris Martin was spotted in South Korea earlier this year.

“My Universe” combines Coldplay’s EDM sound and BTS’s smooth vocals, creating a song that showcases their best musical features.

A declaration of young and timeless love, “My Universe” captures this ideal through an easygoing melody and endearing lyrics.

The song gives off a mellow yet energetic vibe with a slowed-down EDM sound and a steady beat. BTS sings the majority of the verses while Chris Martin maintains the chorus.

Verses of the song are sung in Korean, and BTS does an amazing job of creating a surreal feeling of a love with no bounds encompassing the intended meaning of the song.

Phrases like “Never ending forever, baby” and “You make my world light up inside” evoke feelings of eternal youth.

Martin sings the chorus like he’s shouting his love for the whole universe to hear, repeating the catchy lyric, “You, you are my universe,” leaving listeners in a heartwarming mood.

Following the release of “My Universe,” they also collaborated on a sci-fi music video for the single. Directed by Dave Meyers, the official music video has an aura similar to Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy,” with colorful aliens and dance parties. 

The music video is a take on a sci-fi short film, starting off with a small script. Music is banned in the universe and controlled by “the Silencers,” the main antagonist of the video.

Coldplay and BTS break the rules and sing on different planets, bringing the aliens together to sing and dance alongside them.

The cinematography is impressive and the usage of holograms and realistic makeup art on the aliens.

From the splashes of neon wall art to the eye-catching colorful planets, the universe created in this video is far from a bland and gray atmosphere.

Rather than settle on a song that fans from both artists can appreciate, the visual representation adds a special layer to this highly anticipated release. 

There is something to say about how music continues to evolve through cultural diversity. Artists and bands continue to overcome language and cultural differences to create music with the same messages of love and joy.