John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen release new single ‘Wasted Days’

<p>John Mellencamp performs during Farm Aid 30 on Sept. 19, 2015, at the FirstMerit Bank Pavilion in Chicago. Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen released the single “Wasted Days” on Wednesday.</p>

John Mellencamp performs during Farm Aid 30 on Sept. 19, 2015, at the FirstMerit Bank Pavilion in Chicago. Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen released the single “Wasted Days” on Wednesday.

Singer-songwriters John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen released the single “Wasted Days” on Wednesday, Sept. 29. This is the first time Mellencamp and Springsteen have written a song together.

The single was released alongside a music video directed and produced by filmmaker Thom Zimny, who has directed for Springsteen before. The video was filmed in New Jersey earlier this September.

“Wasted Days” is the first single off of Mellencamp’s new album, which is slated for release in 2022.

While the two have performed on stage together, this is the first time Mellencamp and Springsteen have collaborated fully on a song. Springsteen said in an interview with Sirius XM’s E Street Radio that he was  in Indiana visiting Mellencamp this April. The two had lunch at Bloomington’s Uptown Cafe.

“I love John a lot,” Springsteen said in the interview. “He’s a great songwriter, and I have become very close (with him) and had a lot of fun with him. I sang a little bit on his record.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.