Bloomington Fire Department receives top public protection rating

<p>A City of Bloomington Fire station is seen Aug. 28, 2020, on E. Fourth St. BFD&#x27;s rating from the ISO increased for the second time since 2016.</p>

A City of Bloomington Fire station is seen Aug. 28, 2020, on E. Fourth St. BFD's rating from the ISO increased for the second time since 2016.

The Bloomington Fire Department received the highest Public Protection Classification from the Insurance Service Office, according to a City of Bloomington press release. 

BFD’s rating has increased since 2016 and is the second increase in the last five years. Only four cities in Indiana have a “class one” rating, placing Bloomington in the top .2% in the state and in the top .5% in the nation, according to the release. 

The new rating could mean the annual insurance premiums for property owners living in the Bloomington service area could decrease. 

The ISO ratings are determined on a three-part criteria. The amount of water necessary for fire suppression accounts for 40% of the rating, while the staffing, training, and geographic distribution of fire stations makes up 50%. The quality of emergency communications makes up 10%. 

“We are immensely proud of our Bloomington Fire Department and our City’s firefighters for their tireless and selfless dedication to protecting public safety,” Mayor John Hamilton said in the release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments