City of Bloomington closes offices Monday in recognition of Juneteenth

A view of downtown Bloomington from the 7th and Walnut Street Parking Garage. Non-essential City of Bloomington employees will not be required to show up to work Monday in recognition of Juneteenth.

The City of Bloomington will close its offices Monday in recognition of Juneteenth National Independence day, Mayor John Hamilton announced June 17 in a press release. 

Juneteenth, the new federal holiday, is a celebration of freedom that commemorates the date the last group of enslaved individuals in the United States were told of their freedom. 

Non-essential city employees will not be expected to show up for work. Employees will receive holiday pay. 

The City’s sanitation schedule will not be affected.

Juneteenth is currently not on the 2021 City of Bloomington holiday calendar, but the administration will present to the City Council for the official adoption of the holiday in 2022.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.