bloomington

Monroe County Library to reopen Feb. 22, discontinue curbside pickup

calibrary020221.jpg

The Monroe County Public Library will reopen both the main building and Ellettsville branch  Feb. 22, communications and marketing manager Mandy Hussey said. Most in-building services will be available when the library opens.

Opening and closing hours will remain the same: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. The first open hour of each day will be limited to people in high-risk populations for COVID-19, such as people aged 65 and older, people with underlying health conditions, people with disabilities and expectant mothers, according to the library’s website. The library asks visits be limited to a maximum of one hour, Hussey said. 

This will be the first time the library will be open to the public since November 2020, when both branches closed their buildings in response to rising COVID-19 cases throughout the county and state.

Curbside pickup will be discontinued, but the main location will soon add a drive-thru-like window for people who don’t feel comfortable in the building, Hussey said.

“Once completed, the new drive-up window will provide a contactless service point for patrons who prefer not to enter the main library,” Hussey said in an email. 

Seating will be removed in hopes that visits will be shorter, according to Hussey. Computer stations, a printer, a copy machine and a fax machine will all be available in the building. 

Each location will adhere to new capacity limits. The main library has a capacity of 100 people, while the Ellettsville branch’s capacity is 40 people. For those not able or willing to travel to either locations, the library’s virtual services will remain available.