bloomington

Bloomington Deputy Mayor Mick Renneisen to retire in April

cadeputymajor021721.jpg

Bloomington Deputy Mayor Mick Renneisen will retire April 23, according to a Wednesday city press release. 

Mayor John Hamilton appointed Renneisen deputy mayor in January 2016. Before taking the role, he served in various roles within the city’s parks and recreation department for decades. 

“I never imagined that I would work for the City of Bloomington for 40 years,” Renneisen said in the release. “I’m fortunate to have served our community in various roles during the tenures of four mayors over the course of four decades.” 

He led the city’s parks and recreation department as its administrator for almost 20 years. During his tenure, the parks department earned the National Gold Medal Award, the highest honor from the American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration and accolades from the Indiana Parks and Recreation Association.

As administrator, he led the completion of more than $50 million in capital projects, according to the release. Those projects included the Twin Lakes Recreation Center, a nine-hole addition to Cascade Golf Course and multiple new parks throughout the city. 

Renneisen, a two-degree IU alumnus, also served as an adjunct instructor for the School of Public Health. He was engaged with IU athletics, hosting a monthly sports show on WTIU. He also worked with the IU football team as the internal press box announcer and with the basketball team as a statistician. 

Renneisen said he plans to continue those roles after his retirement from city government in the statement.