arts community events

Angela Davis to speak at IU conference celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. Day

entmlkjr011421-jpg

The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs is promoting a series of events on different IU campuses beginning Jan. 17 in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The events are sponsored by various academic departments and the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.

A social justice conference called Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?” will begin with a speech by April Ryan at 7 p.m. Sunday, and continue at 9 a.m. Monday. The day-long conference, featuring keynote speakers Angela Davis and Alicia Garza, will be composed of workshops centering on Martin Luther King Jr’s. influence on the civil rights movement and ways to continue his work. Registration is free and open to all members of the community. 

Additional IU events promoted by OVPDEMA include a performance of “We Shall Overcome” at 12 p.m. Monday, at the Metz Carillon, the annual birthday celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at 7 p.m. Monday featuring Keynote speaker Dr. Khalid el-Hakim, and performances by the African American Choral Ensemble. A concert called “Honoring Martin Luther King Jr.” will feature performances by faculty and students' and will be streamed via IUMusicLive! at 4 p.m. Feb. 14.

OVPDEMA has provided a virtual toolkit outlining ways for families to celebrate MLK’s legacy at home. The kit includes games, coloring sheets and suggestions for acts of kindness that can be done safely during the pandemic. Social media tools, such as Instagram filters and Facebook frames, are also available in the toolkit.

Events happening in Bloomington: