Indiana state legislative activity pausing, Statehouse temporarily closing ahead of inauguration

<p>Gov. Eric Holcomb speaks to a crowd Nov. 3, 2020, at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Indianapolis. Holcomb announced that the Indiana State Government complex will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday &quot;out of an abundance of caution.&quot;</p>

Gov. Eric Holcomb speaks to a crowd Nov. 3, 2020, at the JW Marriott Hotel in downtown Indianapolis. Holcomb announced that the Indiana State Government complex will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday "out of an abundance of caution."

Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Friday the Indiana State Government complex will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, according to a press release. Officials are acting with an abundance of caution in response to recent riots at the U.S. Capitol, threats of violence at Statehouses and COVID-19 restrictions.

State legislative activity has also been canceled for the upcoming week. Staff will work remotely temporarily until they are instructed to return to the building.

The Statehouse will also be closed for the weekend and Monday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

The FBI warned armed protests are being planned at all 50 Statehouses and Washington DC leading up to President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration, according to CNN.

Holcomb’s statement said there have been no credible threats against Indiana’s Statehouse, 

“After an evaluation with public safety leaders, we have decided to err on the side of caution and close the state government complex to the public,” Holcomb said in the release.

The State of the State address will still be held virtually at 7 p.m. Tuesday. Broadcast information will be shared at a later date.

Hoosiers will have access to essential state services online, over-the-phone and in-person at other state branches.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments