Assembly Hall to be one of six host venues for NCAA Tournament

spNCAA011921.jpg

The NCAA announced Monday that the entire men’s basketball tournament will be played at six venues in Indiana — including Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington.

“March Madness is a highlight event for all college basketball student-athletes and fans, and we are excited to welcome the tournament back to Bloomington for the first time since 1981,” IU Athletic Director Scott Dolson said in a release. 

The other five host arenas for the tournament include Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, two courts inside Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and Mackey Arena in West Lafayette, Indiana.

The majority of the tournament’s 67 games will take place in Indianapolis, according to the release. 

“This is a historic moment for NCAA members and the state of Indiana,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a press release. “We have worked tirelessly to reimagine a tournament structure that maintains our unique championship opportunity for college athletes.”

Selection Sunday is set for March 14, with preliminary round dates to be announced. The Final Four, which Indianapolis was already selected to host, will take place April 3 and 5. 

“The 2021 version of March Madness will be one to remember, if for no other reason than the uniqueness of the event,” said NCAA Senior Vice President of Basketball Dan Gavitt in the release. “We’re fortunate to have neighbors and partners in Indianapolis and surrounding communities who not only love the game of basketball as much as anyone else in the country but have a storied history when it comes to staging major sporting events.”

The NCAA will partner with a local health care provider to administer COVID-19 tests for players, coaching staffs, administrators and officials to create a controlled environment.