arts   |   performances   |   music

Saba to headline 33rd annual WIUX Culture Shock Music Festival

entculture030519

WIUX Special Events Director Jilly Rafalski holds a cupcake March 5 with one of the names of the Culture Shock Music Festival acts written on a piece of paper inside. WIUX announced the 33rd annual Culture Shock Music Festival lineup via Facebook and Instagram at 6 p.m. Katie Maher Buy Photos

The 33rd annual Culture Shock Music Festival, hosted by WIUX, will take place April 20 at Dunn Meadow. Saba, a Chicago-born rapper whose music is a fusion of hip-hop and jazz influences, is set to headline the festival.

Saba first gained widespread attention after appearing on Chance the Rapper’s “Acid Rap” mixtape on the track “Everybody’s Something.” Saba and Chance performed the track on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” in 2015. Saba also performed an NPR Tiny Desk concert in October 2018.

Other acts to perform include Lala Lala, the musical project by singer-songwriter Lillie West and Black Belt Eagle Scout, another project by a solo artist, Katherine Paul. SHAED, a pop trio based in Washington, D.C., will perform right before Saba.

Psychedelic rock group Boa, Chicago-based rock band The Slaps, the rock band Chives out of Indianapolis, Indianapolis rappers Willis & Diop, singer-songwriter Allison Victoria and IU junior Katie O’Neill, who performs under the stage name ktfaithful, are also set to perform.

DJ sets will be performed by Bloomington-based DJ MADDØG, members of the IU Music Production Club and on-campus DJ group VD Collective.

WIUX announced the lineup via Facebook and Instagram at 6 p.m. March 5. WIUX directors and staff bit out of cupcakes with the names of the acts written on pieces of paper inside.

The lineup was originally supposed to be announced in February, but the announcement was finally made Tuesday.

More in Arts