arts performances music

Grammy-nominated band the Milk Carton Kids coming to Buskirk-Chumley

entmilk021819

Twice Grammy-nominated duo the Milk Carton Kids will perform at 8 p.m. March 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. 

The Milk Carton Kids are an American indie folk duo from Eagle Rock, California. Its new album, “All the Things That I Did and All the Things That I Didn’t Do,” was released June 29. The band will play music from the new album with an accompanying band during the performance.

Kenneth Pattengale and Joey Ryan make up the band.

“With pure tones and moving voices, The Milk Carton Kids know how to capture the quiet dynamics of every song as their guitars and gorgeous harmonies weave a spell that is captivating audiences from coast to coast,” according to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater website.

The band’s 2013 album, “The Ash & Clay,” received a Grammy Award nomination for the year’s Best Folk Album, along with a nomination for Emerging Artist of the Year at the 2013 Americana Music Honors and Awards. In 2014, the group was selected by the American Music Association as Duo/Group of the Year.

On Spotify, the band’s song “Michigan” has more than 22 million plays, with a number of other songs in the 10s of millions.

“All the Things That I Did and All the Things That I Didn’t Do” is the first time the guitar duo has performed with a backup band, as they will at the Buskirk-Chumley.

“We wanted to do something new,” Pattengale said, according to the Buskirk-Chumley website. “Musically we knew we were going to make the record with a bigger sonic palette,” Ryan said. “It was liberating to know we wouldn’t have to be able to carry every song with just our two guitars.”

Tickets for the concert start at $30 and are available online.