COLUMN: Jane O’Meara Sanders would make an incredible First Lady

Jane O’Meara Sanders, wife of Vermont senator and presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders, is no stranger to political leadership. In fact, her expertise and background in social justice activism lend her fantastic potential to do a great deal of good for our nation as the next first lady.

Growing up in a Catholic neighborhood of Brooklyn, Jane witnessed the hardships that accompany disabilities and struggles to work. As her father experienced a disability and her family regularly struggled to make ends meet, Jane become intimately familiar with a great deal of the challenges many working 
American families face.

In 1996, the Burlington Free Press wrote that, “Her social consciousness was born watching how money — or lack of it — affected her father during a chronic illness; it still tops her agenda.”

This social awareness translates seamlessly into Jane’s phenomenal career as a sociopolitical organizer. She went on to attend the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in child development. After this, Jane attended Goddard College and earned a master’s in social work. She concluded her formal education at the Union Institute and University, where she was awarded a Ph.D. in leadership studies in politics and education.

Jane has served as a youth services coordinator, a community organizer, the president of Burlington College and is now a key political advisor to Bernie. A political power couple, Jane is highly involved in the campaign both behind the scenes and in the field.

Jane and Bernie met in 1981 during his victory party celebrating his being elected the mayor of Burlington, Vermont. A community organizer at the time, the populations Jane worked with were completely swayed to support Bernie by his debate performances. He and Jane began their relationship shortly thereafter and were married in 1988.

Jane has expressed a distaste for the atmosphere of Washington, and she did not immediately move her family when Bernie was first elected to congress in 1990. She was reluctant to leave work at the time, but ultimately made the move for their marriage and for the four children she and Bernie have together.

As a first lady, Jane has quite a bit to offer. Her relaxed yet highly-engaged nature would lend itself well to the often overly-scrutinized public role. Jane could utilize her experience with advocating for a variety of oppressed or at-risk groups to take bold initiatives during Bernie’s potential presidency. Without a doubt, Jane and Bernie Sanders would bring a fresh and compassionate energy to the White House.