Off the shelf: Holiday books for relatives

As winter break looms, it’s time to start thinking of the holidays.

And while I absolutely adore most parts of the season — cheerful carols on the radio, lights twinkling on snow-covered trees and, of course, the return of Starbucks’ holiday-themed lattes — figuring out what gifts to get my extended family always makes me anxious.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my extended family. I can’t wait to see them in a couple weeks.

But like most families, my family has some definite characters.

This can prove problematic when it’s time to pick out holiday presents.

Every year, without fail, I find myself desperately searching the mall for something that great-aunt Mary Margaret, who knits her own cat sweaters, or goth cousin-once-removed Jimmy, who never leaves his room, might appreciate.

I can’t imagine I’m alone in this predicament.

So, to help you with your holiday shopping, here are some books that your relatives will love.

And you should give them a peek as well — you might end up loving them too. It’ll give you something to talk about over eggnog this holiday.

“The First Phone Call from Heaven” by Mitch Albom
Albom has a wide-spread appeal. His previous novel “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” and his memoir “Tuesdays with Morrie” were both bestsellers. His newest novel should interest both men and women, although its sentimental themes might appeal more to your female relatives. I’d probably give this to an aunt with a book club, or perhaps a grandparent who likes to curl up with a family-centered story.  Oh, and don’t be thrown off by the title. Both religious and non-religious readers will enjoy “The First Phone Call from Heaven.”

“Spycatcher” by Matthew Dunn
It’s Bond-- shaken, not stirred. This novel introduces elite British agent Will Cochrane, a spy similar to Ian Fleming’s infamous James Bond. The sole member of the top-secret Spartan program, Cochran takes on super villain Meggido in a daring fight to save the Western world. I’d give this to an uncle obsessed with Call of Duty, action movies, or anything Bond or Bourne.

“Fallen” by Lauren Kate
This book is perfect for your 14-year-old Twi-hard cousin. It has all the elements of “Twilight”: an angsty teenaged heroine stuck in a gloomy setting, a supernatural love triangle and lots of pining. Though it is a definite YA cliché, “Fallen” had enough plot twists and turns to keep me entertained and, thankfully, heroine Luce annoyed me far less than Bella.   

­— jenfagan@indiana.edu
Follow reporter Jenna Fagan on Twitter @jenna_faganIDS.