arts performances

Sundy Best talk country roots, performing live, fan stories

Kris Bentley and Nick Jamerson of Sundy Best will take the stage Tonight at The Bluebird Nightclub.

The two-man band has been together since their elementary school days, and their music video recently premiered on Country Music Television.

The IDS had a chance to talk to Bentley about the band’s roots and what he and Jamerson like most about performing together.

IDS So you guys (Bentley and Jamerson) are originally from Kentucky. How has growing up there influenced your music today?

Bentley Really the only outlet for anyone music-wise was in church. I played drums in church, and my older brother played drums, too. When he left for college, I took over and played drums. My dad led the worship team. I would say seven out of 10 people in that area can probably play an instrument or sing. Coming from a small town in a really close-knit community has influenced our song writing.

IDS Your new album is coming out this March. What can fans expect from you guys on the new album?

Bentley I think from the first, just a lot of growth and maturity. Lyrically, it’s a little more grown up and relatable on the big scheme of things. Some of these songs we’ve had sitting around for a while, so we’re really excited to get them recorded and have everyone hear them. We’ve been jumping at the bit to get this new album released.

IDS Is there anything specific that served as huge inspiration for the upcoming album?

Bentley I think just everyday life and relationships. Some big inspirations behind the new record are timeless artists like Bob Segar, Tom Petty and the Eagles. A lot of music that’s out there today won’t be relevant the year after. The music I’m talking about has been around for 30 years. We want to create music that means something to people now and will still mean something down the road.

IDS Where has been your favorite venue so far? Do you have one or two shows that are more memorable than other shows you’ve had?

Bentley The first time we got to play in a big arena in Pikeville. We were just starting out, and we just got our first record done. Almost 2,000 people showed up, and we were expecting 500. This summer, we got to play at an Atlanta Braves game at Turner Field. There were about 35,000 people there. When we finished playing, they had a huge fireworks show, and we were down on the field for it.

IDS Do you have any crazy fan stories?

Bentley We’re really involved in interacting with the people who are on social media. Yesterday, we got a message on Facebook from a girl who asked us if we would ever Facetime her. She gave us her number and promised to do something really good on the other end of the line. I’m all for people speaking their mind, but it’s just funny.

IDS What do you love the most about performing with each other?

Bentley It’s the most therapeutic fun we can have. We’re getting to do what we love to do for a living. Doing it with someone who has been your friend for the most part of your life is really special. No matter what is going on in our lives, when we get on stage and start to play a show, everything is forgotten about.

Follow reporter Alexis Benveniste on Twitter @apbenven.