Venue Fine Art debuts emerging talent

entTheVenue

The Venue Fine Art & Gifts will debut something new on Friday with its Emerging Artist Exhibition and Sale.

Beginning at 6 p.m., the show will be the first of its kind at the gallery, as it will feature the works of many different artists, all students from Bloomington High Schools North and South.

“It’s a bit experimental in that it allows for multiple artists to show their work,” Venue curator and owner Gabriel Colman said. “I’m keen to be involved in the business of art, so this seemed like the next step and promoting high school art felt natural.”
Colman, a graduate of BHSN, said he would not be who he was without its arts program.

“It’s an excellent community of teachers willing to put time into different mediums,” Colman said. “I’m not sure if other communities are advocating for the arts the way these schools do.”

The art departments of BHS North and South are organized by BHSN 2-D art teacher Diana Davis Deckard. Selected creations of the art students include ceramics, stained glass and painting and are to be judged for prizes by Colman.

The selected works will be on exhibit for sale at The Venue. The award-winning pieces will be determined Jan. 26.

The public is invited to partake in either of two receptions for the exhibition. The first one takes place Friday and the second on Jan. 25. Both receptions will be from 6 to 8 p.m.

According to the press release, some of the artists will be present, creating an opportunity to enjoy and own fantastic art, and for the public to show support for Bloomington’s high school art programs.

“There are certainly some prolific artists at the high school level,” Colman said. “Talent and experience are not the same things, so this is an opportunity to offer showing experience to an emerging artist.”

The complete collection of The Venue’s other art and gifts will also be on display for viewing and purchase.  

The show will run until Jan. 31.

More information can be found at thevenuebloomington.com or from the Venue’s Twitter account @TheVenueFineArt.

“I would like for this particular event with the students to become an annual signature event,” Colman said. “It would be an opportunity to support the youngest members of the Bloomington arts community and the future leaders of arts in America.”