Singer Harris brings Nashville sound

Country singer-songwriter Emmylou Harris will perform to a sold-out crowd at 8 p.m. tonight at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

For nearly four decades in the music industry, Harris has drawn acclaim for her solo career as well as her many collaborations with a diverse set of musicians including Bruce Springsteen, Dolly Parton and Bob Dylan.

In addition to 12 Grammys and a Golden Globe, Harris was also inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008 and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2009.
She received an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music in 2009.

She was recently honored with the Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award by the Academy of Country Music, along with Billy Sherrill, Ricky Skaggs and Dwight Yoakam. The award celebrates pioneers in the country music genre. 

Harris released her latest album, “Hard Bargain,” which she worked on with acclaimed composer Will Jennings in April 2011.

According to her official website, the album features autobiographical songs focusing on some of Harris’ most intimate relationships.

Songs chronicle her time with musical mentor Gram Parsons and fellow country singer-songwriter Kate McGarrigle, both of whom have passed away.

Ticket sales from Harris’ current and upcoming shows will benefit Bonaparte’s Retreat, a dog shelter she manages on her property in Nashville, Tenn. 

Harris will continue touring through June 2013, with stops scheduled in Iowa, Georgia and Colorado. She will also release an album with country musician Rodney Cromwell on Feb. 26, entitled “Old Yellow Moon.”

The duo will begin touring together in the spring to support the album.