Column: Binders full of fashion critics

Fashion critics went wild after this week’s presidential debate.

President Barack Obama and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney pulled the ol’ tie switcheroo — Obama wore a red tie and Romney wore a nice, liberal blue.

Any symbolic value was lost by the end of the debate, though, as civility was thrown out the window and Romney failed to substantiate his campaign promises.

However, Michelle Obama and Ann Romney donned the same shade of electric pink at the debate and generated much discussion.

It is assumed the ladies wore it in support of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, as Ann Romney has openly discussed her breast cancer diagnosis.

President Obama himself had a pink bracelet underneath his jacket.

But this wasn’t the first time Michelle Obama’s style stole the spotlight.

Time and time again, critics praise her fashion choices.

Why doesn’t Ann Romney have binders full of women offering the same praise?

When Michelle Obama showed up in a Tracy Reese gown at the Democratic National Convention, the designer said the sight “moved her to tears.”

American designers yearn to be worn by the first lady and often sell out the specific style the first lady chooses.

Anna Wintour, Vogue editor-in-chief and commander-in-chief of the fashion world, has always been a vocal supporter of President Obama.

She has thrown numerous fund raising dinners and missed huge shows during Paris Fashion Week to support him.

Diane Von Furstenburg was less than pleased when the Republican nominee’s wife wore a dress by her label to a Republican rally in Florida.

The iconic DVF refused to release any statement other than “We’re actually not quite sure how Ann obtained the dress.”

Ouch.

In Ann Romney’s defense, her go-to Boston-based designer Alfred Fiandaca explained in an interview that her husband often picks out her clothes for public events.

Fiandaca also said that Ann is “too feminine for high fashion.”

Perhaps the Romneys are the symbolic antithesis of the fashion community.

With women’s health issues and legal same-sex marriage on the line, a large percentage of the fashion community is ostracized.

Ann is not the strong, modern career woman that Michelle Obama represents or the fashion world promotes.

Plus, in the most heartwarming photo-op of the year, Beyonce revealed her support for the president. And whatever Queen B says, goes.

­— mwalschl@indiana.edu