Arts on Campus

In The Heights

Bloomington is rich with its vibrant and diverse culture, and there are so many opportunities to experience the performing and visual arts right here on campus. From off-Broadway musicals to Picasso’s artwork to rare manuscripts, IU offers many chances to experience all types of art. So whether you’re a theater neophyte or have been going to museums for years, here is a sampling of how you can immerse yourself in the arts at IU.

IU CINEMA
1213 E. 7th St.
www.cinema.indiana.edu/
The IU Cinema opened in January 2011 with state-of-the-art technology, surround sound, custom decor and renovated panels of Thomas Hart Benton’s Indiana Murals. Though it has only been open for a little over one year, it has become a premiere destination for film lovers in Bloomington and from around the area, with more than 150 films screened each semester, including new arthouse releases, film classics and foreign films. The cinema has also become IU’s center for the scholarly study of film. According to its website, the cinema is “the university’s first research facility where audiences can collectively revisit the cinematic works archived within Bloomington’s vast film print collections.”

MUSICAL ARTS CENTER
101 N. Jordan Ave.
www.music.indiana.edu/opera/
Home to the Jacobs School of Music’s Opera and Ballet Department, the Musical Arts Center (MAC) showcases worldclass performances, including an annual production of “The Nutcracker.” It is regularly compared to the Metropolitan Opera in New York City, and seats up to 1,460 patrons. For the 2012-13 season, the department has chosen six operas and three ballets, opening its season in the fall with W.A. Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”
OUR PICK Franz Lehar’s “The Merry Widow” is a comedy about a rich widow who, if she marries a foreigner, will leave her country and rob it of her fortune. Conducted by Dale Rieling, this Viennese operetta is sure to provide the best musical entertainment. When: Oct. 18 7 p.m., 19-20 8 p.m., 21 2 p.m.

IU ART MUSEUM
1133 E. 7th St.
www.iub.edu/~iuam/
Established in 1941, the IU Art Museum, with its unique angles, was built by I.M. Pei, who also designed The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum and the entrance to The Louvre. The museum houses pieces from nearly every culture and era, including works from Africa and ancient Greece and works by Pablo Picasso and Paul Strand. The museum is free and open to the public, and also has a cafe and gift shop. Upcoming exhibits include German Expressionism and paintings by landscape artist Barry Gealt, both opening Oct. 6 and running through Dec. 23.

THE LILLY LIBRARY
1200 E. 7th St.
www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/
Founded in 1960, the Lilly Library is one of the largest collections of rare books in the world, housing over 450,000 books and 7.5 million manuscripts. Some notable pieces include a Gutenberg Bible, George Washington’s letter accepting his presidency, the first printed edition of Shakespeare’s works and typescripts of Ian Fleming’s “James Bond” novels. Past exhibits include “The Beat Generation,” “The Poetry of Sylvia Plath,” “Spies and Secret Agents,” “Remembering Lincoln” and “The Remarkable Characters of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.”

LEE NORVELLE THEATRE AND DRAMA CENTER
275 N. Jordan Ave.
www.indiana.edu/~thtr/
For years, the Department of Theatre & Drama has been putting on phenomenal shows ranging from Shakespearean to Tony Award-winning at the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center. This season opens with “When the Rain Stops Falling,” a drama by Andrew Bovell.
OUR PICK Duncan Sheik’s award-winning “Spring Awakening,” a musical about German youth exploring friendships, love and sexuality. The ground-breaking show was a huge success on and off-Broadway, and should be masterfully performed by IU theatre students. When: Nov. 2-3, 6-9 7:30 p.m., Nov. 10 2 p.m., 7:30 p.m.

GRUNWALD GALLERY OF ART
1201 E 7th St.
www.indiana.edu/~grunwald/
The Grunwald Gallery of Art is an exhibition venue for both professional and student artists to display their work. Free to the public, the gallery “frequently collaborates with artists, scientists and scholars to produce exhibits that interpret visual art in a broader scientific or humanities context,” according to its website.

IU AUDITORIUM
1211 E. 7th St.
www.iuauditorium.com/
The IU Auditorium opened in 1941 after it was constructed as part of the Works Progress Administration program. Built entirely of Indiana limestone, it was the first building completely planned and constructed under Herman B Wells. With more than 3,000 seats, the auditorium is home to off-Broadway shows, guest speakers, comedians, orchestras, concerts and more, with acts appealing to every demographic.
OUR PICK The auditorium opens its 2012-13 season with the Broadway hit “American Idiot,” inspired by alt-rockers Green Day. Following the story of three lifelong friends who have to choose between chasing their dreams or staying in the life they’ve always known, it is told through the music of the band, including songs such as “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” “21 Guns” and “Holiday.” When: Sept. 4-5, 8 p.m.