Recreational sports provide students with outlet

Intramural Flag Football

Students can be seen running and participating in sports in between classes throughout the school year.
Campus Recreational Sports provides a unique opportunity for students to maintain or start their fitness routines while in school.
Steve Heeter, director for member services, said the organization is committed to helping students and staff.
“Our first priority is serving the Indiana University Bloomington students, followed by faculty and staff,” Heeter said in an email.
Kim Gray, service director for marketing and sponsorship, said students hold a very important role in the deciding stages of programs and activities with the Recreational Sports organization.
“We offer a variety of programming and facility spaces that meet (student) needs because we ask students up front what they want,” Gray said in an email. “The students have a voice through the Student Recreational Sports
Association.”
In addition to intramural sports flag football, basketball, indoor soccer, kickball, softball, volleyball, whiffleball and tennis, Campus Recreational Sports also offers various
programs.
“Throughout the school year we still offer a full complement of RS programs, including group exercise, yoga, Pilates, cycle fit, circuit strength, informal sports, personal training, lap swimming, swimming sessions and some club sports,” Kathy Bayless, director of Campus Recreational Sports, said in an email.
Chris Arvin, program director for fitness and wellness, said participating in healthy activities should be a high priority year-round.
Heeter said the students have already paid for their service membership if they are enrolled in classes.
Chris Geary, director of programming and research, said students are better off sticking to their normal workout schedules.
“If they want to come in and get a quick workout in with minimal interruptions, then mornings and early afternoons are still best,” Geary said in an email. “If they are coming to work out and they want to meet people or get in a pickup game, then late afternoon and evenings are still best.”
Arvin said students should use these unique opportunities to start a workout schedule that will last into the fall and winter. This could possibly start a full-time healthy lifestyle for students while at IU, he said.

For more information on intermural sports, IU workout centers, the extended calender and more  visit iurecsports.org.